Many professional athletes are turning to hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) to take advantage of the many benefits of increased volume of oxygen in the blood. During the treatment, the patient inhales 100% oxygen in a special chamber where the atmospheric pressure is closely monitored.
This is beneficial for athletes in a number of ways, including:
- Faster natural healing of injuries and wounds – with oxygen being transmitted by nearly every liquid in the body, it has the ability to reach all injured and damaged tissues, facilitating the body’s ability to initiate and support the natural healing process. For instance, a sprained ankle can recover in 4 instead of 8 days with HBOT, while a bruised thigh can heal in one week instead of 3.
- Strengthened immune system – the increased oxygen supply also improves the performance of the white blood cells in fighting bacteria
- Reduced swelling – The increased oxygen intake facilitates the growth of new blood vessels in the injured areas, which helps to reduce swelling.
- Improved mental clarity and alertness – increased blood supply to the brain significantly improves brain function, which in turn enhances the athlete’s capability to respond faster to situations without suffering mental fatigue.
- More energy and superior performance – the body receives adequate oxygen to create ATP, which supplies energy and eliminates lactic acid that is responsible for muscle fatigue. In other words, higher oxygen levels help athletes to recover faster after workout and training sessions, and ultimately improve their performance.
Generally, HBOT allows athletes to recover faster from injuries so they’re not sidelined, which can cause them to lose their place in the team. Faster recovery means more time to train and better performance. It also improves their energy and performance levels, making them more competitive and likely to enjoy a long career.
Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy in Woodland Hills
Please note that HBOT should be used as part of a larger medical care plan to ensure full recovery. Schedule an appointment with the Hyperbaric Center for Advanced Healing at 818.629.8988 or contact us using our online form.